Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Peaches en Regalia



What a bumper crop of peaches we've had this year, this tree was just a cluster of twigs sprouting out of a stump on the ground in the back yard when we moved into this house 4 years ago. I bound those limbs together and a year later it kind of looked like a tree, I thought it was a peach-leafed willow at first, I was surprised to discover a single but very large peach in it's crown in September. Then last year there was no fruit at all, the blossoms were ruined by a late spring snow.


But this year, Bonanza!, the branch you see above is in danger of breaking off from the weight of the fruit. Squirrels are having themselves a time, I resent their wastefulness, they rarely eat a whole peach, sometimes only taking one bite or so before moving on to the next peach. Still there's more than I know what to do with, I need to look into canning or freezing some.


No comments: